Day 59- A nice broiled steak

I broiled a steak tonight. Learning to cook a steak was one of my big accomplishments of the past year. Scoff if you like, but aside from grilling a hamburger, I have never grilled meat.  I suppose technically broiling meat doesn't really count as grilling, but Alton Brown contends that broiling and grilling are the same, and personally, I am siding with Alton.


 I also love broiled steak because that is how my Gramma used to cook her steaks.  She slathered them with butter and seasonings and broiled them.  Best of all, she would let me eat cold steak the next day, one of my favorite things. It's been one year to the day since she died, so having a broiled steak felt right.  I wished I had made her tell me what she put on those steaks, because mine never taste quite right. I know she just would have laughed like it was a silly question. She had a plaque hanging in her kitchen that said, "Food should be cooked with butter and love." It makes me smile.




0 comments:

Post a Comment