LOFTHOUSE STYLE SUGAR COOKIE BARS

LOFTHOUSE STYLE SUGAR COOKIE BARS:
 Confession:
I have never sunk my teeth into a Lofthouse cookie.
Therefore:
I can’t say whether or not these taste like a Lofthouse cookie!
I’ve always wondered . . . why all the hype?
I guess I will never know, until I actually eat one.
My daughters . . . love them!


A lofthouse cookie is described  as dense, soft, delicious and out of this world.
I found this recipe over at Today’s Mama.
According to my tasters, these bar type cookies are close . . . but not the real mccoy.
I didn’t care, I ate most of the pan.
Make them the day before you want to serve them, because they are twice as yummy the next day . . . I promise.


This recipe intriqued me, because instead of sour cream the recipe call for Cream Cheese instead.
Oh yes . . .I thought this would give it that dense consistency.


The dough is yummy, but a real bugger to spread on a greased baking sheet.
Hint:
Lightly wet your spatula and pat it out, rather than trying to spread it out.


finally!


While your bars are baking, you can make the frosting.


I decided on that peachy color . . . I’m not sure I liked that peachy color.


The color was weird, so I figured sprinkles would help.
They did, but the color was still odd.
Make sure that your pan of bars is cool, before you frost.
Note:
These really are better . . . the next day . . . they soften . . . they become very yummy . . . and dense.
So frost them and cover them and hide the pan under your bed.
Pull it out in the morning and try to stay out of them.


 Yeah right.

    Print This   
SUGAR COOKIE BARS
NOTE:  These bars are best made the day ahead before serving.  They soften and become denser and delicious!
1 1/2 C sugar
1 C butter, softened
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 egg
1/2 t almond extract
1 t vanilla
1/2 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
2 1/2 C flour

FROSTING:
1/2 C butter softened
4 oz cream cheese, softened
3 1/2 C powdered sugar
3-5 T milk
1 t vanilla
food coloring
1. In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer beat the butter, cream cheese, sugar, and egg  until nice and frothy. About 4 minutes.
2. Add the vanilla and almond extract and beat for 1 minute more.
3. In a small bowl combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Mix them around so that all ingredients are well incorporated.
4. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat for about 2 minutes.
5. Press the dough into a large jelly roll (cookie sheet) pan.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
7. Let the pan cool completely.
8. Time to make the frosting. In a medium sized bowl (or your stand mixer) combine the butter and cream cheese. Beat for about 2 minutes.
9. Add the powdered sugar, milk, vanilla and food coloring. Mix for 1-2 minutes or until smooth.
10. Frost your pan of cookies. Cut the cookies into bars and serve!
NOTE:  These bars are best made the day ahead before serving.  They soften and become denser and delicious!


Print Friendly

0 comments:

Post a Comment