Day 62 - Fit, Tips and Tulle

My Spirit Week costuming is off to a fabulous start and it's because my sewing skills have improved greatly in the last six months.

I have had more time to practice my sewing skills lately, but I am giving credit to the internet for improving my abilities. Looking things up, while I am in the middle of a project, has really made all the difference.  Sewing patterns are written in their own English dialect and things go together much more smoothly if you can actually comprehend the directions. Thankfully for me, craft nerds share their wisdom via technology.

Okay, so fabulous might be an exaggeration, but it is all coming together nicely.  I did sew, rip out and resew my top this week, but only once.

I "finished" the top of one of the costumes; meaning I still have to clip thread, hand sew 2 seams, install grommets and press.  However, more important, it fits and doesn't look too shabby in person,  which is not at all clear from this picture, but sparkly tulle doesn't photograph well. 

And, I made my co-moderator try it on for fit and it fit her as well!   That is great news because it means I can serge ahead.  Pardon the sewing puns. 

I also showed it to a co-worker who used to design and create wedding gowns, and is still an extremely talented seamstress. So talented in fact, that I was nervous to show her what I had done.  Not only did she tell me what a good job I did, which felt wonderful coming from a professional, but she also gave me tips on how to finish the garment which are going to make my life easier and the costume more beautiful. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment